Monday, February 14, 2011

Feel the Burn #3

First let me say this, you guys are doing so great! I am truly amazed at your determination!!! That being said, I DO feel that for your own health/sanity, I am going to have to remove the bonus points for extra workouts this week. So the workouts may be longer than before- but they are all that is required this week. See I am so nice! ;)



Workout 1: A LONG RUN workout worth 7 points.
But if your knees are hurting, try doing it on the elliptical. Or talk to me about a different alternative. (you may of course add more time to the recovery walks if needed)

This is going to be an endurance workout. Be prepared. Should take you an hour or so. Pick your own speed/incline.

Run 2 min
Walk 30 sec
Run 4 min
Walk 1 min
Run 6 min
Walk 1.5 min
Run 8 min
Walk 2 min
Run 10 min
Walk 2.5 min
Run 8 min
Walk 2 min
Run 6 min
Walk 1.5 min
Run 4 min
Walk 1 min
Run 2 min
Walk to Cool Down

**1 bonus points for running speeds 4.0+ on a treadmill. Must run that speed the for every run segment, the whole workout. OR *1 bonus points for running on a track/outside.
**1 bonus point for no additional time on the walk times.



Workout 2: this workout is a race. We are competing to see who finishes first/fastest! So keep track of your time! And watch your form! Workout worth 8 points.

30 mountain climbers (google it or ask me)
25 jumping jacks
15 Alternating lunges
25 jumping jacks
8 burpees
25 jumping jacks
Rest 2 min (may add more/less rest time as needed)
(repeat 5 times) whats your time? :)
*additional reps will be worth points but not included in timed trial!

Abs: Plank up-downs for 1 min. Repeat 6 times. Try not to rock hips! Keep 'em flat girls (facing the floor).

*Additional reps: 2 points each. Done at time of workout. No limit.
*Additional plank up downs: 1 point each. Limit 12.
*Keep the rest as written during the first 5 repetitions: 1 point.
*Winner on Time Trial: 5 points! Must post time on blog when completed.




Workout 3: Running Stairs workout worth 5 points

You will be Running up and down the stairs for this workout. Push hard for the running portions! And use the recovery time to help you KEEP PUSHING HARD each repeat. Can be done at home, outside, at a stadium, I don't care- just find some stairs. Good luck.

Run for 4 min.
Walk for 2 min. (you may add time to this if needed)
(Repeat 6 times)

Core work
10 Reg crunches
10 Alternating knee crunches
10 butterfly crunches
(repeat for 5 min)

Try not to die... then do these....

30 sec Plank pose
30 sec Plank up downs
30 sec One leg plank (each side)
(repeat for 5 min)

*Additional run repeats are worth: 2 point each. Must be done at time of workout. No limit
*Add 10 push ups to workout worth: 1 point per set. No limit :)
**Make 4 push ups in your set boy push ups worth: 1 point per set. No limit. :)



Workout 4: Think tight tush! Workout worth 7 points.
Watch your form! And SQUEEZE that booty at the top of each exercise! Rotate between exercises with no rest.

Phase 1
30 pulsing Static lunges right leg
30 pulsing Static lunges left leg
30 squats
30 plie squats
(repeat 2 times)
*2 bonus points per set, for keeping arms raised above your head, during all the exercises of phase 1. Watch your form!

Phase 2
20 right leg Backwards Lunge kickups (google it)
20 left leg Backwards Lunge kickups
25 donkey kicks right leg
25 donkey kicks left leg
(repeat 2 times)

Phase 3
40 hip raises (google it)
20 leg raises/ leg throw downs
(repeat 2 times)

8 super man planks. Hold for 1 min each.

*2 bonus points for each additional repeat you do PER phase. Must be done at the same time as workout. No limit. (that would be 6 points to repeat entire workout, except abs)
*1 bonus each point for additional superman plank poses. No limit.
*2 bonus points for each set of 20 Squat jumps added.
*2 bonus points for each set of 20 walking lunges with Tippie Toe squeezes added. See/talk to me to understand what these are- google is failing me on this one.




Workout 5: Go to a Yoga class! Workout worth 10 points. May repeat workout.

I know you are not all familiar with yoga. And I want to work it into the challenges. But before I give you at home DVD's to do, I want you to take a live class. Or two. You learn a lot in the live classes that you have to kind of guess at home. You need to learn about form, about what the poses are called, and even what the point is for each pose. I don't typically enjoy group workouts, but I love yoga classes. Yoga can be an intense and HARD workout! But it isn't jarring on your joints. So its perfect to use as cross training with things like running. There are Yoga classes at the Orem Rec Center- I will go with you to any of them if you want! They are Tues/Thurs/Sat mornings at 10 am OR Mon/Wed at 7 pm. The Orem Rec is going to be the least expensive classes around, but they have great instructors. AND they have babysitting available. Let me know if this works for you- maybe we can all go together! :)



Workout 6: Burpees until you die. Workout worth 7 points.

20 burpees
20 mountain climbers
20 side tricep pushups (10 each side)
(repeat 5 times)

*1 bonus point per additional burpees you do
*2 bonus points per additional repeats you do



Additional ways to get points.

We are keeping it simple this week.
*1 point per post. No limit.
*1 point per pic. Limit 3 per day.
*2 points per video. Limit 1 per day.
*2 points for being TOTALLY OPEN DAILY ABOUT WORKOUTS in posts! (thats for you DC!). Yep you gotta let everyone know- THAT DAY- what you did (including bonus points) to get these points.


Other things to remember:
You may repeat workouts. You can call me and ask for some ways to modify things if your body needs it. You need to warm up! And to cool down! Stretching is super important! And have fun!! These workout challenges are supposed to push us- but also are supposed to help us have fun doing the same workouts as our friends! Thats why I want everyone to share all this week! We lost something in the secretiveness of it all last week. Ok, good luck!

-L.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Yoga!! I can go any and all nights, so if you all want to go together let me know...

Crystal Hendrix said...

Hmmm it will depend greatly on Trav's schedule, and then I have RS stuff Tuesday night. Hmmm I really want to go to a class though. How much is it for a class? The $4?

Crystal Hendrix said...

It is official, Lauren is trying to KILL US!

Anonymous said...

You can attend any of the exercise classes for the $4 admission fee. The classes they have available are:
Tues/Thurs at 10 AM
Mon/Wed at 7 PM
Sat at 10 AM

Let me know if you want either Lauren or I to attend with you!

Crystal Hendrix said...

The problem is the $$$ part. We are so freakin' broke!!! We get paid on Wednesday so that will be when I can start going. I think I might have $3 in change!! But if I can find any I will let Lauren know, so that maybe we can go tomorrow morning :D

Jenergy said...

So, can we choose to do any of these workouts? Like I really don't think that I can repeat or do extra burpees or anything because the regular work out wipes me out so much I feel useless the rest of the day. I'm not complaining, I just want to pick my workouts to fit my capabilities. So, like can you decide to do a yoga class six days in a row then?

I'm scared of going to a yoga class. Like, baby puke in my mouth scared. I am so out of limberous shape I don't want to be made fun of.. by myself, to much thinking can be a scary place for my brain hehe. OK time to nut up and just do it.

Oh and limberous is now a word cuz I said it is.

hmmm what else. Oh, I remember. Can you get points for picture-cartoon like pictures or do they have to be pictures of a live person?

Sucks that we have a video point limit... I was going to do sweating to the oldies wearing spanks but you can kiss that vid goodbye if there's no points in it. hehe jk.

lauren said...

Jenn- you can do any of the workouts, and repeat whatever workouts you want. AND Yoga is intimidating sometimes but I promise you, if you go with DC or I you will have fun. We are always the gigglers in the back! ;)

As far as getting wiped from the workouts- THATS GOOD! That means you are challenging yourself, and getting your body to a place that your muscles can get stronger. If you keep it up- you will notice yourself getting a lot stronger a lot quicker! Promise! keep up the good work! All the workouts are designed to help you out- with cardiovascular health and strength training, even with range of motion and joint health (hence the yoga). But I will leave it up to you to do what you can do. Just remember no pain- no STRENGTH gain applies here.

Love ya!
-L.