Friday, February 27, 2009

The Sparta Challenge week 1

I needed a pick me up and a little extra motivation after I had to cancel my half marathon. So I joined Patrick in the Sparta Challenge! Its a 9 week program, 5 workouts a week, designed to improve overall strength. It is HARD! I have been shaking from exhaustion and close to tears more than once! and this is only week 1!!! It is a lot of lifting and AB work (be proud! I HATE abs). There is an eating program too- but I am opting out of that portion this time around. As I am sure I will do this 9 week program again when I am not still nursing; and it requires me to take quite a few products that are "if-y" for nursing women. I have decided to just keep taking my vitamins and supplements; and focusing of eliminating the bad stuff while indulging in the healthy foods.

I am typically the endurance junkie- I love to work out for a long time at a consistent speed. Short and Fast is a totally foreign concept for me! AND it kicks my butt! Like 4 out of 5 of these workouts are lifting with minimal cardio. Wednesday is "Cardio Warrior" day- and it has lots of sprints, box jumps, and other hellish stuff! It makes me miss my 6 mile runs! But I am enjoying a new challenge! I have NEVER worked out like this before!!! I KNOW I can run for a long time, I have run a marathon and distanced trained my whole life! But it is fun to see me get STRONG! It is a new challenge for me and I am loving it! (well except the abs- I will never love abs...). But just because I am me- I will probably still fit in a "comfort run" on Saturday.... I am thinking about 6 miles tomorrow. Ahhh, it sounds nice. :)

If you want a copy of the Sparta Challenge- I can email you one, all you have to do is ask!

Ta Ta for Now-
Lauren

2 comments:

Mari Elizabeth Couture said...

Wow!! I am excited to hear about your progress--the name of the challenge sounds intimidating enough!!

Jen said...

Email me a copy of the challenge. Also, what are these Advocare products I keep hearing about? Love the info Lauren! :)