Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sparta Week #2

Week 2 was a little easier in some ways- and harder in others! I am starting to get used to all this lifting, so in that way, week 2 of this challenge has been a bit easier. BUT I was having a hard time getting in "the zone" this week. I did all the workouts, I tried to push myself, but something just wasn't clicking. It didn't feel as rewarding as it usually does when I work out- so it was hard to gear up and actually go, a bit this week. But I did it! So yay for overcoming work out blues, and yay for being finished with week 2 of my 9 week challenge!

I can say that I have noticed my body responding to all this lifting. I am getting a lot stronger! It is also changing the shape of my body (although not my weight, THIS is ME we are talking about!) I still get embarrassed when people notice (even Patrick) my body changes, and I am not sure why!?! I guess I just can't handle the attention!

My eating has been, ok, not great but ok. I need to do a bit better at resisting the sugar. But overall I am proud of myself, and have been for a while. I know that I am challenging my body in new and exciting ways, and being realistic about what works for me (i.e.- giving up chocolate completely will NEVER work for me! LOL!).

I also wanted to do a little "Yay Me!" paragraph about my mental health. I have been feeling so much "stronger" (that is the only way I can describe it right now) lately. My cycles haven't been FLOORING me as much as usual. And I THINK it is because of all of my working out!?!? For those of you who don't know, I have Type 1-rapid cycling- Bipolar disorder. It is a challenge that I deal with every moment of my life, and it really sucks. I know not everyone wants to hear that, but it does, it sucks. I don't often feel like I am winning the battle at being healthy and stable. It can be very discouraging, since I try so very very hard. Lately, and its probably just a good phase, I have seemed to handle my "stuff" better. I wanted to share, and to say it out loud to myself, because sometimes I just need be positive and let myself enjoy the accomplishment. :)

Lauren

3 comments:

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Lifting sucks until you get used to it. Once you are used to it, you will never go back.

Plus, if you keep lifting you will lose weight. The extra muscle means you consume more calories which means, ceteris paribus, you will lose weight.

The first month or so I didnt lose any weight. Then I go serious about weights and cardio no less than 4 days a week, cut out the unnecessary crap in my diet, and the pounds started dropping. They will for you to.

Patrick Wright said...

lauren really has been rocking it at the gym. she is tough!

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

I loved this post, ya ya weights blah blah (says the weak leak 5lb max girl) I mostly loved it because of the last paragraph. Im so happy to hear that you are feeling, as you put it, "stronger". You deserve it! You have worked really hard to accomplish your physical goals & its nice to know they are helping you emotionally etc as well. (all those endorphins??) Whatever the reason, hurrrrrah! Im so proud of you. After I run my half I wanna try this "9week hell". Love you.
Mares