Sunday, January 18, 2009

Running is Fun?

2009 is all about DOING rather than planning. I spend too much time, or better..I WASTE too much time saying I am going to do something, rather than just DOING it. So my new year's resolution was simply that: start DOING. Which means that effects my wonderful & oh so inconsistent work outs. I have always talked about doing a half marathon, but have never ever run more than 6 or 7miles at one point...and i haven't done that in at least 5 years. So. Lauren invited me to do one with her, and I thought gotta start DOING :) Since I have to work so much, she is flying out to CA to run with me out here in May! If you want in on our CA race, send Lowski a hollar & she'll give you the deets.
Running isn't exactly easy for me..I can get to a decent speed if I work out consistently..but I NEVER enjoy it. I love how I feel after, so I do it...but during the entire run, whether it be 1mile or 4miles...I am thinking "I want to stop. I can't breathe. I hate running". This half marathon is going to be a huge challenge for me mentally!! I am excited to start training in a month & excited to just finish it. I hope to run it in a nice easy 10min mile pace. I hope that's not being too optimistic! If it goes well I may sign up for another one & try to beat this time, but I am not running it as a RACE..I am just running it to finish it. That's it.
In addition to my running goal of a half marathon in May (and training up to may equals to about 10miles a week or so). I hope to do Yoga once a week & 2 days of lifting (Mari lifting, not Lauren lifting...I stick to the 5lb weights thank you haha).
We shall see how it all pans out, this past week was hard for me because I haven't been sleeping well which effects my efforts & desire to work out BIG TIME!! Wish me luck with the ZzzzZzzz's so I can kick my own booty!!

GOAL THIS WEEK: Mon:run, Tues:cycle, Thurs:weights/run, Sat:yoga/cycle
Ill report back next week!!

Also, I go to runnersworld.com & keep a log of my distances & work outs. That way in 2010 I can see all I did in 2009! Plus its nice to see the numbers summarized each week & month. You should use it too!!

3 comments:

Jeni said...

You GO, Mari! I am proud of you. Now if only I could get my own butt off the couch...

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Thanks lady. Let's celebrate when I actually COMPLETE my half marathon. I am so excited, but sorta nervous!

lauren said...

You are going to do fine. Its not really scary. YOU COULD WALK THIRTEEN MILES RIGHT NOW! So just think of it like- I can already do this. I am just working on going a little faster..... :) Oh yeah and I hope that you do great this week! I look forward to the update!